Pages



f

Thursday, April 16, 2015

New Blog Email + Student Council + We are Silent

Hi everyone! I have a new blog email, nerdglassesandwanderlust@gmail.com, so shoot me an email any time and I'll try to respond as quick as I can! Considering the DG deadline just passed, feel free to chat about the questionnaire with me ;)

Most days I can only start my homework after 6, even though school's out at 3, because of my after-school activities. I'm running for student council. I ran last year, and I made it past the first round of voting, but I didn't get a position. The student council selection procedure last year started with a round of voting. 11 students with the most votes would advance as finalists. Then there would be a final round of voting and the people with the most votes would get on. This year, there's a first round of voting, speeches, and a teacher selection process. If you advance after the first round, you're guaranteed a spot, but a teacher panel will select your position. Sorry for rambling, your eyes probably skipped over this paragraph. :)

Today, April 16, was Free the Children's We are Silent Day. In recognition of all the girls around the world who cannot experience basic rights and cannot stand up for themselves, we try to say nothing for the school day. It makes we wonder ... if I were a girl growing up in a third-world country, what would my life be like? I can imagine constant labor, a lack of education beyond the skills necessary to run a family, child marriage - and then on the other side of the spectrum, there's my actual life. How privileged am I to actually go to school, have food to eat and water to drink, a roof above my head, and be able to participate in activities that I am passionate about? It's much too hard to cope with the thought of living in fear of severe child abuse and being scolded for speaking. To have a moment of silence, to just to dwell like this, is very hard to come around, so I encourage you to stop and think about how grateful you feel for merely having the education necessary to read this post.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Every user comment means a lot to me, whether it's a one-liner or a novel. I honestly hope you enjoy my blog! :)

Shine on,
GirlRadio