Do you know what it feels like when your heart is toppling and the world, at least to you, might as well be over? That's the emotion that I experienced a few hours ago.
It's hard to be resilient, and it's hard to fight back. You just want to cry, because whatever made you feel this way isn't under your control.
But I think that life is just a roller coaster. There will be as many fails as successes, and in some cases, more. It feels even worse when you've been persistent - when you've been trying so hard so many times but it just never works out.
There are exceptions. For acting, they nail their first audition. For music, they post a cover online and they gain overnight fame. For writing, their first manuscript is approved and becomes a worldwide bestseller. It just comes so easily. Unfortunately, that's not how it is for most people.
Discovery Girls has finished notifying all the 36 girls who will be attending the Summit, and I wasn't one of them. For a first-timer, it's no big deal. For a second-timer? Maybe it just wasn't your year. But for a third-timer, it really starts to hit you. For a while you feel like you'll spend your entire life wondering what success feels like.
It's hard. And I've got plenty of experience with it. I know what it feels like. Yes - this is coming from someone who's just overcome it. You can't sit there and cry. You have to get out and keep going, because eventually doors will open for you. If you fall down, push yourself to get back up. Never give up or lose hope.
I've found my own ways to get over not being selected. I reminded myself that almost ten thousand girls applied, and there must have been so many amazing girls who deserved it but didn't get in. Actress101 from the DG Blog was selected! Other than that, I haven't heard from anyone. I had a discussion with my mom about adding something to my questionnaire that would make me stand out more, and now I'm thinking of ways to improve my writing for next year. I've got some pretty big ideas, and I'm planning and preparing myself. Anyway, I've got a DG writing contest entry due tomorrow! I have already been featured in Discovery Girls, as my book review was in October/November 2014, and my Great Debate response will be in the next issue, which is coming out in a week.
Whatever curveball life throws at you, use your resilience to overcome pain. And if you got selected, congrats! I can't wait to see your issues! If you weren't chosen, use this post as a way to overcome any pain you might feel. You are amazing, and not getting chosen doesn't make you any less amazing! Stay strong, fellow wanderlusters!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Every user comment means a lot to me, whether it's a one-liner or a novel. I honestly hope you enjoy my blog! :)
Shine on,
GirlRadio