Pages



f

Monday, August 24, 2015

What I Look For in a Blog

Of the blogs we are familiar with, there are blogs that we follow and blogs that we don't follow. So for me, what are the wow factors of a blog? What sets my expectations for each category? Let's get started, shall we?

1. Great blog design!
Okay, you probably have a similar tactic. I'm sorry, but when it comes to blogs, my first impression tends to be based off of their appearance. That's because a good blog design tells me that the blogger actually cares about blogging, and is dedicated to it. That means that they're willing to put in the time to jazz up their blog while still producing appealing content.

2. Some blogging buddies of mine with trustworthy tastes are already following that blog!
If I'm browsing Bloglovin' and I find that a close blogging buddy with good taste is following that blog, there's a good chance I'll come around and do it myself. While it's not exactly the best idea to go with the crowd in real life, in the blogosphere it can pay off!

3. Thoughtful, humorous, and relatable posts.
Those are the three key things, for me, that I find really important in a blog. Thoughtful posts let me get to know the blogger better, and can give some things to think about. Humorous posts make reading the blog worth my while, and really make me want to browse through the archives and read more. Relatable posts mean that, if I have ever been in that same situation, I can connect with the blogger and take a life lesson away that could help me out next time.

4. Good grammar/spelling!
I am such a grammar freak. My class last year used Edmodo, this educational social networking system where, for example, if you forgot your homework, you could just post on it and ask for someone to scan it for you. I am so crazy about grammar and spelling that I actually started this #wordcrimefree thing on Edmodo (based off of Weird Al's "Word Crimes"), a big challenge to get everyone to proofread before posting. So ditch the OMGs and the LOLs because they're not getting you anywhere. There will be posts where they're necessary, kind of, to go along with the topic, but otherwise, I don't see why it's so hard to simply write out "Oh my gosh." I always read over my posts two or three times before I post them, so I can avoid grammar and spelling errors as much as possible.

5. They post often!
If I check out your blog and see you haven't posted in more than 10 days (unless you specifically said you would be away for a while), that either means you took on blogging when you couldn't make time for it, you just completely neglected your blog, or you don't care about it and do have the time but do other things. Like I said before, I want to follow bloggers who care about what they're doing. Of course it's okay to get started on it and lose interest, but at least post that you're going to stop. I don't want to be checking your blog every two days hoping for new content, knowing that nothing new will be there, but doing it anyway.

6. The blogger her/himself, of course!
I'm not going to read your blog if you have a reputation for profanity or anything inappropriate. I'm not going to read your blog if I know you bash other bloggers, completely disrespect people, and say rude things because I'm not going to follow you or read your blog if you aren't a person I'd want to be around in real life.
How the blogger writes is important, too. I like bloggers who write with personality and don't copy topics off another blog. I don't like it when they hide part of themselves to gain appeal.

So that's a wrap! How did you like this post? What do you think?
By the way, now that I'm in the school year, I'll only be posting about every four days.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Every user comment means a lot to me, whether it's a one-liner or a novel. I honestly hope you enjoy my blog! :)

Shine on,
GirlRadio