Pages



f

Saturday, August 8, 2015

I Will Always Write Back + Be Thankful

I recently read a book, I Will Always Write Back by Caitlin Alifirenka and Martin Ganda. It was a thought-provoking book that is in fact a true story; it got me thinking about so many of the things I take for granted each day.
The book starts off with Caitlin, your average American teenager, who lives in a small town in Pennsylvania. Her school begins an international pen pal program, for which she chooses to write to a boy, Martin, in the poverty-stricken Mutare, Zimbabwe. As Caitlin and Martin correspond, they form a deep friendship, deep enough that Caitlin starts to discreetly send money as Martin's family struggles to pay rent and school fees. Just $20 worth of babysitting earnings on Caitlin's part can pay Zimbabwean living expenses for two months. One day, when Caitlin works up the courage to tell her parents she's been sending money and to ask for help, Caitlin's family begins sending care packages and money for Martin and his family, making sure the package is secure. She learns that life in Zimbabwe is tough - very tough - to the point where she begins neglecting her other friends. She finds that her friends whine about such petty troubles of boyfriend confusion and fashion crises when she knows that her true best friend, Martin, is living on the other side of the world carrying luggage and selling beverages to pay for school and to help support his family. Eventually, Caitlin's family decides to fund his entire education, landing him a scholarship to college in Zimbabwe and finally fulfilling his dream of studying in the US. The book ends when Caitlin and Martin meet each other for the first time.
I thought it was interesting how merely wearing a clean T-shirt was a sign of wealth where Martin came from. I felt something reading this book, a feeling that makes me want to just help all of these people. These people who can't afford some of the most inexpensive things. I want to reach out to them, maybe even start a pen pal program in my own school or a program where people can sponsor a poor child's education. While many kids might see school as a chore, something that costs nothing for their families, there are other kids who work very hard to do the best they can while their families barely can afford the fees. It's heartbreaking that they don't receive so much as an adequate education, and how Martin might not have been able to pursue higher studies.
So next time you buy groceries with your parents and are about to ask for your favorite chips or sugary cereal, think of all of the deprived kids. The next time you trudge all the way to school, just smile, and think of how privileged you are. The next time you feel too lazy to turn off the lights, think of the families who can't afford electricity. Just think of how lucky you are to be literate enough to read this post. Please, try to never to complain about your privileges, as I'm sure there are so many other kids who would love to be in your position. Just think.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Every user comment means a lot to me, whether it's a one-liner or a novel. I honestly hope you enjoy my blog! :)

Shine on,
GirlRadio