Pages



f

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Breaking Through and Standing Out

You probably know what I'm talking about when I say there's just this group of people at school who are all-around trendsetters. They're the kind of people who are looked up to and can get their way with practically no effort. They're the kind who walk around always having something critical to say. Say they came to school wearing just their underwear. Guess what everyone else would be prancing around in the next day?
Underwear.
They get to decide what's hot and what's not. Rolling backpacks? Dorky. But tinted lip gloss is in this season! Going to bed before 5:00 AM? Oh my gosh, that's so lame! You haven't watched a single episode of Pretty Little Liars? What are you doing instead, binge-watching Dora?
The thing is, you are you. They can't tell you what to wear and what to watch and when to sleep. They can't sashay around like the fashion police correcting your socks-and-sandals look, or your decision to wear your plaid shirt and paisley leggings. They can't label you as a "nerd" just because you strive to do well academically. They can't call you lame for wanting to keep reading Highlights, or pick on you for that birthmark you've always hated.
It's so ... awkward when the people around you basically grow up too fast. You can't be expected to be wearing full-on makeup in sixth grade, or be expected to have a boyfriend before you even become a teen. You have to stay by your values and keep being a kid, because trust me when I say that in the future those popular kids will regret not being a kid while they had the chance. Don't go and trash your beloved Highlights and buy a copy of Teen Vogue, or throw out your sandals during gym so you can borrow a pair of shoes from your friend. I honestly believe that you shouldn't stop being who you are until you feel like you've outgrown those little things, not them. We all started walking, not running marathons, so you should take growing up a little bit at a time so you can enjoy things while they last.
So how can you do that? Walk up to those kids and say:
"I may hate this birthmark, you may hate this birthmark, but this is part of me and I'm not about to let you put me down for it."
"I can have my own style and rock it. Besides, fashion is taking risks, and that's exactly what I'm doing right now. Who knows, in ten years the tables will be turned and you'll be an outcast for what you define as 'fashionable.'"
"I can make my own decision, and I will be dating when I feel I'm ready."
"Next time we have a math test and you want to copy one of my answers, we'll look back at this discussion and see who should've studied."
"Don't call me a dork. This backpack is more practical for me and what you think about it doesn't make my list of things to worry about."
"You know what's really lame? Picking on me for not wearing makeup. I'm beautiful just the way I am and it's your loss for not realizing it."
Do it. DO IT! I promise, it's exciting. You will feel SO MUCH MORE CONFIDENT about standing up for yourself and others whenever something like this happens, and eventually it will become a habit. A good habit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Every user comment means a lot to me, whether it's a one-liner or a novel. I honestly hope you enjoy my blog! :)

Shine on,
GirlRadio