Back in February of 2014 I wrote a post kind of like a letter to my future self. Of course I wasn't supposed to respond to it until I was twenty, but I'm doing it anyway. Same thing for the time capsule I made in third grade (I feel a need to constantly replace the pictures, which kind of defeats the purpose).
Looking back at posts from fourth grade, to be honest, I think I was pretty conceited when I was eight and nine :)
Dear Future Self (age 20) {yeah, no},
--
MY RESPONSE
--
Dear Past Self (age 9),
Sorry for responding sooner than I was supposed to. You can forgive me, right?
Well, it's only been a year and a half, so no, I do not have a career yet. But I do still blog and I love it so much and I think with each day it becomes a bigger part of my life. Blogging defines me.
My sister is still seventeen and is going off to college next year. I still am not very clear on what her career goals are. And, LOL, no. You didn't do your calculations correctly. My parents would be in their fifties and all, but not quite retired.
Aww, thanks for the advice :) I should be the one giving YOU advice, though. Believe in yourself and be confident about who you are, but at the same time be sure to stay humble and grounded. There will be some people who make fun of you, but don't let it get to you. I know you had a really tough time in fourth grade dealing with fake friends and flat out bullies, but you'll be learning from the experiences. It's good to forgive people and to avoid holding grudges, but don't accept empty apologies. I remember sometimes you were brave enough to confront those who were rattling you up, and I know that sometimes when you put pressure on people to apologize they will say sorry without meaning it, so go about confrontation differently. Don't be accusatory and simply say the truth: your feelings ended up getting hurt and in no way is that okay.
No, you didn't make it in that year, or the next, but remember that you still have two more chances. Don't give up - trying and not getting chosen is better than not trying at all.
I have written a lot of music since you wrote this for me. Remember that song you submitted, "One Dream," to that arts competition, Reflections? You made it to the state level (California), competing against millions of students! You didn't win anything at state, but I'm still proud of you for going to state from the most populous Northern California county.
I decided that my school wide magazine was too much to handle, so I scaled down my work and did a class magazine, Extreme, in fifth grade. And WOW. Just WOW. Extreme was the most-talked-about thing in our class! I couldn't believe how many comments I received when I published the magazine weekly. Students were actually interested, because it was much more appealing with entertainment, sports, news, puzzles, contests, games, books, and more. I got some kids to write for the magazine, and we ended up creating a website and all! It was a classroom publication, not a Sneha publication, which I think made all the difference.
Your teachers decided not to provide the necessary teacher support for the clubs, so even though we fully finished writing our first musical, it was never performed.
You're right - YOLO! So make the most out of every moment and love yourself :)
Looking back at posts from fourth grade, to be honest, I think I was pretty conceited when I was eight and nine :)
Dear Future Self (age 20) {yeah, no},
--
Right now, I'm nine, and that may seem young. But I want to know, how have I changed? Am I still a blogger? Have I achieved my goals of becoming a pop star/actress/writer? Did I ever stop having faith in me and my dreams?
What are you like? I've always wished I had some way of knowing what was going to happen next on my journey to living my dreams. I know this letter may sound ultra-dramatic, but these are really my feelings, straight from my brain and my heart.
What's happened to my family? I hope my older sister became a neurosurgeon or a scientist or whatever she wanted to be. (Apparently, it changes every five days!) I hope my parents are alright, (maybe retired?), but I believe they're still young.
I know that you've almost experienced every up and down of being a girl, but I want to inspire you. Believe in the beauty of your dreams; I think the perfect song (knowing we both obviously ADORE music!) to describe this letter would be "Who Says" by Selena Gomez, or "Gold" by Britt Nicole. I don't even need to take a guess; music, theatre, and literature make our worlds go round, and that's never going to change. Don't stop believing; because they'll only tear you down emotionally if you let their words change, well, you. Don't be afraid to be yourself; because you are beautiful, no matter what they say, shining brighter every day. You're still the amazing girl you always were! Nobody can defeat you, because you're unstoppable, invincible, on FIRE!
Oh, and, since I'm applying this year, did I make it to the Discovery Girls Tween Summit of 2014? If not, I know I have more chances; not trying would be miserably, horribly, LOSING. Did I ever end my connection with tween/girlhood magazines such as DG?
How many songs and stories and musicals/plays have I written? I hope it's well over a gazillion, because those are some incredible tunes I've set my heart out to.
I want to know how Cub Craze has blossomed. You know, that's the online magazine I created/founded/am the editor-in-charge of, but has someone else taken over because you're not a kid anymore? I hope it's still up and running, and if it made it big, I'll be ultra-proud of myself.
Last but not least, were the clubs I'm involved in successful? Remember, this year, I became the founder and president of my class's performing arts club (I made it!) What about the literature club? Even though I'm just the vice president for it, it's still a part of me. And since me and my friends (as the literature club) co-wrote a musical for me and my PA friends to perform, how did Inside Jokes (the musical) go? I love being able to play myself, and besides, I am a lead role. My life is complicated, but I love life, because, well, YOLO (you only live once). Well, bye now. I hope to write more letters to you!
I want to know how Cub Craze has blossomed. You know, that's the online magazine I created/founded/am the editor-in-charge of, but has someone else taken over because you're not a kid anymore? I hope it's still up and running, and if it made it big, I'll be ultra-proud of myself.
Last but not least, were the clubs I'm involved in successful? Remember, this year, I became the founder and president of my class's performing arts club (I made it!) What about the literature club? Even though I'm just the vice president for it, it's still a part of me. And since me and my friends (as the literature club) co-wrote a musical for me and my PA friends to perform, how did Inside Jokes (the musical) go? I love being able to play myself, and besides, I am a lead role. My life is complicated, but I love life, because, well, YOLO (you only live once). Well, bye now. I hope to write more letters to you!
Shine on,
Sneha "GirlRadio"
--MY RESPONSE
--
Dear Past Self (age 9),
Sorry for responding sooner than I was supposed to. You can forgive me, right?
Well, it's only been a year and a half, so no, I do not have a career yet. But I do still blog and I love it so much and I think with each day it becomes a bigger part of my life. Blogging defines me.
My sister is still seventeen and is going off to college next year. I still am not very clear on what her career goals are. And, LOL, no. You didn't do your calculations correctly. My parents would be in their fifties and all, but not quite retired.
Aww, thanks for the advice :) I should be the one giving YOU advice, though. Believe in yourself and be confident about who you are, but at the same time be sure to stay humble and grounded. There will be some people who make fun of you, but don't let it get to you. I know you had a really tough time in fourth grade dealing with fake friends and flat out bullies, but you'll be learning from the experiences. It's good to forgive people and to avoid holding grudges, but don't accept empty apologies. I remember sometimes you were brave enough to confront those who were rattling you up, and I know that sometimes when you put pressure on people to apologize they will say sorry without meaning it, so go about confrontation differently. Don't be accusatory and simply say the truth: your feelings ended up getting hurt and in no way is that okay.
No, you didn't make it in that year, or the next, but remember that you still have two more chances. Don't give up - trying and not getting chosen is better than not trying at all.
I have written a lot of music since you wrote this for me. Remember that song you submitted, "One Dream," to that arts competition, Reflections? You made it to the state level (California), competing against millions of students! You didn't win anything at state, but I'm still proud of you for going to state from the most populous Northern California county.
I decided that my school wide magazine was too much to handle, so I scaled down my work and did a class magazine, Extreme, in fifth grade. And WOW. Just WOW. Extreme was the most-talked-about thing in our class! I couldn't believe how many comments I received when I published the magazine weekly. Students were actually interested, because it was much more appealing with entertainment, sports, news, puzzles, contests, games, books, and more. I got some kids to write for the magazine, and we ended up creating a website and all! It was a classroom publication, not a Sneha publication, which I think made all the difference.
Your teachers decided not to provide the necessary teacher support for the clubs, so even though we fully finished writing our first musical, it was never performed.
You're right - YOLO! So make the most out of every moment and love yourself :)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Every user comment means a lot to me, whether it's a one-liner or a novel. I honestly hope you enjoy my blog! :)
Shine on,
GirlRadio