Hi peoples!
Sorry for the gap in posts! I've been so busy with my homework and extracurricular activities, but then again, aren't we all?
I need to develop a schedule. I'm going to be more strict on myself, and thank goodness I can schedule posts when I have extra time. Expect posts from me on Mondays and Fridays! Help me out by reminding me whenever I miss a day :) I need your support to get myself back on track!
Ah, enough with the ranting - let's get started!
1. The Damsel in Distress
Don't be the girl that needs a guy, be the girl a guy needs! In most Disney movies, I've noticed that the girl needs the guy's help for everything! The girls are usually the ones who forget a slipper or fall asleep for a century or eat poison apples, while the guys are their heroes, fighting off fire breathing dragons or scouring kingdoms or driving ships in to the ginormous octopus. Of course, there are a few examples of Disney princesses that aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and don't need a guy's support, like Mulan, Merida, and Elsa. Look at Ariel - her story is about how she changed herself for love!
On the other hand, how do the guys feel about this? I'm sure they'd like to sleep in ... for a century. Cut them some slack!
2. "Perfect" Appearance
Has there ever been a Disney princess that couldn't pass for Miss America? Their bodies are extremely exaggerated. Disney, in a way, promotes the stereotype that you've got no place in the world if you aren't practically anorexic. Skinny is thrown around lightly, and rather than focusing on being healthy, they choose to feature seemingly perfect girls.
Don't forget the guys! They look super masculine - muscular, tough, and hairy guys who probably have ten packs by the look of it. The evil characters are portrayed as overweight and ugly. Throughout the movies, it seems like the guy's only intention is to get the girl.
Think about it: Prince Charming falls for Cinderella all dolled up without really getting to know her, and that's supposedly where true love is born. Prince Phillip falls in love with Aurora WHILE SHE'S FUDGING SLEEPING! All she had to do to receive true love's kiss was be beautiful. Like, what's going on?
3. Racism
In Aladdin, Arabs are portrayed as barbaric, ignorant people who walk around shooting people to have a good time. Originally, the opening song, "Arabian Nights," included the lyrics "I come from a land/From a faraway place/Where they cut off your ear/If they don't like your face/It's barbaric, but hey, it's home." Besides, considering that the Middle East is Muslim-dominated, Jasmine's wardrobe would definitely be disapproved of! Most Muslims believe in modesty, and then you've got Jasmine.
Disney princesses are anything but diverse, which of course cannot be considered racist. There are some characters like Mulan, Jasmine, Tiana, and Pocahontas that serve as exceptions, but other than that, they're mostly Caucasian. However, Disney's working on this, as in 2016, Disney will introduce a new princess, Moana, who has Polynesian (Pacific Islander) blood.
4. Women for Housekeeping
Snow White has to care for the dwarves - they can't fend for themselves. Same goes for the Lost Boys in Peter Pan. Instead of getting to fight and stand up, women have to stay back and care for the warriors. How unfair is that? Don't we deserve to get a chance to fight for what we believe in?
Haha whenever I find a new cause I can get quite worked up about it, don't you think? Share your opinions!
P.S. If you read this, comment "gurgle." It'll totally confuse the people who skip over this part!
Ah, enough with the ranting - let's get started!
PREPARE FOR INTENSITY AS I GET HEATED UP ON THIS TOPIC.
1. The Damsel in Distress
Don't be the girl that needs a guy, be the girl a guy needs! In most Disney movies, I've noticed that the girl needs the guy's help for everything! The girls are usually the ones who forget a slipper or fall asleep for a century or eat poison apples, while the guys are their heroes, fighting off fire breathing dragons or scouring kingdoms or driving ships in to the ginormous octopus. Of course, there are a few examples of Disney princesses that aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and don't need a guy's support, like Mulan, Merida, and Elsa. Look at Ariel - her story is about how she changed herself for love!
On the other hand, how do the guys feel about this? I'm sure they'd like to sleep in ... for a century. Cut them some slack!
2. "Perfect" Appearance
Has there ever been a Disney princess that couldn't pass for Miss America? Their bodies are extremely exaggerated. Disney, in a way, promotes the stereotype that you've got no place in the world if you aren't practically anorexic. Skinny is thrown around lightly, and rather than focusing on being healthy, they choose to feature seemingly perfect girls.
Don't forget the guys! They look super masculine - muscular, tough, and hairy guys who probably have ten packs by the look of it. The evil characters are portrayed as overweight and ugly. Throughout the movies, it seems like the guy's only intention is to get the girl.
Think about it: Prince Charming falls for Cinderella all dolled up without really getting to know her, and that's supposedly where true love is born. Prince Phillip falls in love with Aurora WHILE SHE'S FUDGING SLEEPING! All she had to do to receive true love's kiss was be beautiful. Like, what's going on?
3. Racism
In Aladdin, Arabs are portrayed as barbaric, ignorant people who walk around shooting people to have a good time. Originally, the opening song, "Arabian Nights," included the lyrics "I come from a land/From a faraway place/Where they cut off your ear/If they don't like your face/It's barbaric, but hey, it's home." Besides, considering that the Middle East is Muslim-dominated, Jasmine's wardrobe would definitely be disapproved of! Most Muslims believe in modesty, and then you've got Jasmine.
Disney princesses are anything but diverse, which of course cannot be considered racist. There are some characters like Mulan, Jasmine, Tiana, and Pocahontas that serve as exceptions, but other than that, they're mostly Caucasian. However, Disney's working on this, as in 2016, Disney will introduce a new princess, Moana, who has Polynesian (Pacific Islander) blood.
4. Women for Housekeeping
Snow White has to care for the dwarves - they can't fend for themselves. Same goes for the Lost Boys in Peter Pan. Instead of getting to fight and stand up, women have to stay back and care for the warriors. How unfair is that? Don't we deserve to get a chance to fight for what we believe in?
Haha whenever I find a new cause I can get quite worked up about it, don't you think? Share your opinions!
P.S. If you read this, comment "gurgle." It'll totally confuse the people who skip over this part!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Every user comment means a lot to me, whether it's a one-liner or a novel. I honestly hope you enjoy my blog! :)
Shine on,
GirlRadio